37 Amazing Facts & Stats about Video on YouTube
6 Billion Hours of Video watched on YouTube every month
How many hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every 10 seconds? How many hours of cat videos, how-tos, music videos, beauty tutorials and unboxings are watched every month? YouTube is an amazing space and there are some incredible stats that are generated from it. Here are the 37 stats and facts about YouTube.
YouTube: The Big Big Numbers
• 6 billion hours of video is watched every month on YouTube
• 40 minutes is now the average YouTube session on mobile
• Every month, across the world YouTube is used by 1 billion people
• Every minute 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube
• Every second 1 hour of video is uploaded to YouTube.
Location, Location, Location: YouTube Around the World
• 80% of YouTube traffic is from outside the US
• YouTube is localized in 61 countries and can be accessed in 61 languages
• In China, there are 60 million users
• In Saudi Arabia, 90 million views are generated every day
• Japan has 6 million YouTube users, equivalent to 50% of all Japanese Internet users
YouTube stats for the United Kingdom
35% of UK residents use YouTube Of all users, 76% are in the 18-24 demographic 1 in 4 visits to social media channels are accounted for by YouTube visits The most popular channels in the UK: One Direction VEVO with 12.8 million subscribers, With 87 million subscribers, the most subscribed YouTube channel is ‘Music’ With 6.3 billion views, EMIMusic YouTube channel has the most views The most watched YouTube video ever with nearly 2.1 billion views is PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ Pewdiepie is the most subscribed non-YouTube channel with 30.3 million subscribers The most shared video advert ever is Shakira and Activia’s ‘La La La’.
Who is Watching YouTube?
• 18-34 year olds in the US watch YouTube than Cable
• 68% of US viewers choose YouTube to watch online video
• More than a third of YouTube view time is for videos that are 20 minutes long.
Where is the…..Money, Money, Money?
• 1 million video creators from over 30 countries are earning money from their videos
• 75% of in-stream adverts can now be skipped on YouTube
• $5.60 billion is the estimated cost that advertisers have spent on YouTube in 2013.
• 53% of consumers in the US state that purchasing decisions influenced by YouTube videos
• 3% of the 14.9 billion beauty-related videos views generated by major brands on YouTube.
Mobile and Second Screen
• Mobile devices count for 50% of YouTube views
• In the US, 27% of viewers use their smartphones to access YouTube
• Android devices count for 42% of YouTube viewing on mobile.
Nuts, Bolts and Miscellany
• Every day, over 400 years’ worth of video is Content ID scanned
• Every minute, 146,000 hours’ worth of video is Content ID scanned
• Content ID is used by more than 5,000 partners, which include broadcasters, movie studios and record labels
• 80& of viewers who use the closed captions are not hard of hearing
• ‘Turn In, Hook Up’ was the name of YouTube when it first started out as a dating site
• 700 tweets per minute contain a YouTube link
• In the US, 97% of charities and non-profit organisations are active on YouTube.