Take One logo

Search


What about Podcasts as part of a Marketing Strategy?

What about Podcasts as part of a Marketing Strategy?

Podcasting Growth

Two years ago, before podcasting became popular, research showed that 15% of Americans aged 12 and over listened to a podcast in the previous 12 months. Although that is a huge number, tens and tens of millions of Americans, the amount of podcast views has been growing steadily, though not exponentially.

In 2009, podcasting grew from 9% in 2008 to 11%, and then grew again to 12% in 2010. For a short time, podcasting plateaued before starting to increase again in 2014 to 15%. After a specific podcast started being broadcast there was enormous in advertiser, brand and insider interest for podcasting; listenership increased to 17% in 2015 and it has already surpassed 21% in 2016. Year by year there has been a 24% increase in the percentage of podcasts listeners.

Things to Remember about Podcasts

Due to music licensing and royalty fees, podcasts are mainly spoken broadcasts. In a normal radio broadcast 20% of audio is spoken word, and the other 80% is music.

People who are interested in news, perspectives, current events, comedy and sports have always been a win for podcasting.

When podcasting was in its early days, there was a lot of tech podcasts which represented the available audience, and they were generally people who understood how to download a podcast, sync it or subscribe to it and transfer it over to an iPod.

Listening habits

Two-thirds of people listen to podcasts on a mobile device. The rise of smart phones has allowed people to listen to content in multiple environments, contexts and at different times of the day which were previous unavailable.

The average listening time is about 4 hours of audio daily, whereas the podcast listener listens to 6 hours of audio daily. People also listen to a lot more audio because they are able to listen to an interesting programme in their cars, on public transport, in the gym, on walks, doing gardening etc.
As only a small number of listeners have in-dash entertainment systems, listeners find other ways to listen to podcasts in cars such as, cassette tape adapter – yes, these are still used – USB plug, Bluetooth or an audio patch cord.

Podcast future

A podcast is audio on-demand. A TiVo is used to record television programs they want to watch on demands. They are not called ‘TiVo-casts’, they are still called ‘shows’.
Audible, the audio book platform, recently announced that they are publishing podcasts, yet the channels page does not use the word ‘podcast’ anywhere, it is all about the ‘show’.

Getting Google Ranking from Podcasts

One other thing to consider is Google; if you want to your podcast registering with Google searches, then a simple way of doing that is to make it into a quasi video and load to YouTube. You need a good photo image to cover the audio, but it can be as simple as a picture of the speaker and content title; or a bullet points. Then convert the mp3 to an mp4 and off you go; it’s quite a reasonable and effective line extension for clients who want to make increased use of their material but isn’t quite ready for a full blown original video production.

Tags


Filter

Categories

Tags

Archive by Date